Allerton Literacy Festival!

So the Literacy Festival is over for 2013 and we want to find out what you enjoyed and why.
As a reminder, here is what happened on the different days:
Wednesday–> We had 3 super authors in school (Petr Horacek, SF Said and Denis Bonds).
Thursday–> Poetry Performance day with visitors in from the community.
Friday–> Literacy based on the picture and sharing it with other classes.

About Mrs Minshall

Comments

1. Miss Kemp on June 11, 2013 at 9:55 am said:

We really enjoyed the literacy festival. Our favourite part was when Petr Horacek came to speak to us. He drew fantastic pictures and we thought it was very interesting how he thought of stories using the pictures. We also liked making the instruments and performing our poem.

We liked sharing our work with Year 5. We think they are perfect partners and some of them even drew wonderful pictures for us to colour in! It would be nice to work with them again.

Please can we have the literacy festival again next year?

From Eris class.

• Mrs Minshall on June 17, 2013 at 5:09 pm said:

I really hope we can. It really is a lovely thing to do, sharing work with younger or older children. 🙂

2. Bethany on June 13, 2013 at 7:38 pm said:

I liked it when Petr Horacek was here. I enjoyed myself!

3. kiera on June 15, 2013 at 2:30 pm said:

When I met a real author at school. To Mrs Henry,

When I met SF Said at school I asked him if there was going to be a 3rd Varjak Paw book and he said “yes there is going to be a 3rd Varjak Paw but it will be when I am older so I know how it feels to be old.” Plus he has writen a book called Phoenix and it is about Humans VS Aliens in outer of space.

4. Tayyibah on June 16, 2013 at 11:25 am said:

When I met a real author at school.

SF Said said that instead of doing planning for his story’s he did drafts and to write Varjak paw it took him 17 drafts which is 3 years. He also told us for his first book Varjak Paw he got 40 rejects from the publishers and another 40 rejects and for his final finished book he got 10 rejects until one publisher said yes.

To mrs Henry.

5. I really enjoyed it when S.F.Said came in to school I enjoyed it when he told us how he wrote stories, and did not plan. He told us that he just went straight on the story and if he was stuck to name a character, he would just put anything down for the name. When he told us that it took him 5 years to write 17 drafts (fake versions of a story)everyone was amazed. Someone asked is there going to be a 3rd Varjak Paw and he said yes but later because Varjak will be old, and so he can experience how it is to be old when he is older.I enjoyed speaking to him as well.

• Mrs Minshall on June 17, 2013 at 5:12 pm said:

You were listening well, Musa. Just to let you know, a draft isn’t a fake version of a story, it is an attempt, like what you do before you green pen edit. Each time he looked back at his previous draft and made it better. He did this 17 time, therefore 17 times at improving his story.

6. Aqsa on June 17, 2013 at 9:18 am said:

I really liked it when we met SF Said and when we performed our poems in front of the whole school.

7. Fajjr on June 17, 2013 at 9:19 am said:

My favourite part of the festival was when I wrote my own poem and when I drew a picture and listening about yokshire dialogue (it was really cool I wish I was fromYorkshire):)

8. Alishba on June 17, 2013 at 9:20 am said:

My favourite part of the Litracy Festival was when we were sent to write the third Varjak Paw book and actually meet S.F Said! I really enjoyed it!So can we do it again soon?

• Mrs Minshall on June 17, 2013 at 5:13 pm said:

Hopefully we can do it again next year…only with different authors. Your challenge is to keep reading and let me know which author you think would be brilliant to have in school. Ps. It’s spelt ‘literacy’.

9. I really enjoyed writing Varjak Paw and meeting SF Said. When he wrote he never planned he just wrote straight away. SFSaid told us he wrote a book called phoenix it is about humans vs aliens!

10. Mehrab on June 17, 2013 at 9:23 am said:

My favourite part of the Literacy Festival was when My Class Performed our Poem. Also when S.F.Said came and gave us some ideas for our Third Varjak Paw Story.

11. Thomas on June 17, 2013 at 9:23 am said:

My favourite part of the literacy festival was when Ali asked S.F.Said if there is going to be a 3rd Varjak Paw.

12. Subhaan on June 17, 2013 at 9:24 am said:

My favourite part in the literacy festival was meeting S.F.Said
    I loved watching his signature it was very fast.

13. Nida on June 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm said:

My favourite part of the literacy festival was writing ideas for SF Said to use in the 3rd Varjak Paw story. I also enjoyed asking him questions. I was totally amazed that it can take 5 years to write Varjak Paw and surprised that it took SF Said 17 drafts to write the book.

14. sairah on June 19, 2013 at 8:36 pm said:

At the literacy festival I enjoyed the part when we a wrote story about the wolf.My class even got to read the book.

15. Maleehah on June 21, 2013 at 9:08 pm said:

When I met a real author at school. To Mrs Henry.

SF Said’s name is an arabic name and he wrote 17 drafts to get Varjak Paw published. Also SF Said said “When you write something, go back and read it, does it make sense?”

16. armaan iqbal on July 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm said:

The literacy festival was good I loved the day when SF Said came into our school.