Animal Spotting!

On Tuesday, all of year 2 visited Cliffe Castle Park.

We were on the lookout for animals in the park. Take a look at our pictures. Can you name these animals? What other animals do you think might live in the park?

We recorded the number of animals we found using a tally chart. When we got back to school, we created block graphs using the data we had collected.

We found out that inside the a large habitat, there can be lots of smaller habitats. These are called micro-habitats. Now we are learning about why certain animals live in certain habitats. Why are woodlice found under rocks? Why do caterpillars like to be under leaves? Why do worms live near soil?

Please leave a comment if you can answer any of our questions!

This entry was posted in General, Year 2 and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Animal Spotting!

1. Adam 2M says:

I really enjoyed finding the mini beasts in cliffe castle. Did you know minibeasts have favourite places they like to go to?

• missmahmood says:

I am glad you enjoyed the trip! Can you tell me what some of their favourite places are? Where should I look if I want to find lots of woodlice?

2. R.H says:

mini beasts are creatures such as caterpillars which like to eat leafs. Did you ever know that? woodlice live in micro habitats; under a stone. Did you also know? butterfly’s lice to eat nectars from flowers. I have enjoyed when we used magnifying glasses to look at woodlice, this made them look bigger and more fascinating, I also enjoyed it when we ate lunch in the museum; my favourite part was when we got to see birds. Does anyone know? where butterflies live.

• missmahmood says:

The magnifying glasses helped us to spot the tiny mini-beasts!

That’s a good question. I wonder if anyone can find out?

3. aq says:

I have learnt all about mini-beast. There were pink worms in each wormery and the worms were curled up in curls that were really little.
    worms don’t have any eyes or nose.

• missmahmood says:

We noticed something very interesting when we looked at our wormerys today! Can you remember what it was? (It was to do with the layers of sand and compost!)

4. ak says:

Did you know that mini beasts have micro-habitats like leaf litter, dead wood, trees, under ground and….. I really enjoyed it when we learn about caterpillars, ladybird and buterflys . Did you know that minibeasts are tiny little creechers ?

5. a-a says:

I was sad becaue some one die