Oxenhope CE Primary School

Believe and Achieve

Narwhals and Swordfish – The Silence Beneath The Bark

on January 22, 2013

Watch and enjoy this 10 minute film. What do you think is happening? Where do you think it is set? What other creatures might live beneath the trees?

Find theΒ film on Youtube by following this link.

Please post your comments.

The version we watched in class has a music score over the top of it – which version do you prefer? The link is below.

22 Responses to “Narwhals and Swordfish – The Silence Beneath The Bark”

1. Rhys says:

Sad but not sad well beying happy
    as well beying sad

2. Georgia from yr 4 (Narwhals) says:

Hi mr parkin,
    Sorry about the last message.:(
    I watched the film and I thought that it was set in a winter scene. There could be polar bears on the land and maybe seals. Underground there would be insects like:
    spiders
    woodlice
    milli-peeds.
    The little creature which act like a main character didn’t look like it new the snow was ‘SNOW’ so then the creature tried to eat some of the snow it enjoyed it and when it was eating you could see through its tummy but inside you could see how it developed. Then another creature exactly the same as the other one apeared and the first creature that apeared showed the other one to eat snow the other one enjoyed it aswell.
    The snow made them glow so they look like angels. They turn out to be best friends, Then one of them was about to leave and go somewhere else but they wouldn’t eave each others side!

• mrjparkin says:

You sound like you enjoyed the film – in class we are designing our own creatures that live beneath the trees and writing a fact file to go with the picture with a paragraph of description. We also did a 10 minute quickwrite – any sort of writing at all – with the title The Silence Beneath The Bark. Have a go and post it here.

3. George says:

Hi Mr Parkin,
    I like this film.
    I think the bit when he smiles and showes his teeth is funny!
    I think it is set on a cold day around a forrest.
    I also like the music!

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

4. connor says:

I love it its like a wonderland but just with creatures.I liked watching all of it,but I especially like the part where they make friends and the part where he gets a stick and tries to put the tree back into place because that is the funny part (: .

5. saskia says:

Hi.I loved the 2nd one ,its full of love .
    But the 1st scared me!Its not ful of love . Its the music its creepyer and not gentul more, harsh .

• mrjparkin says:

I like the way you have compared the two films and included how they made you feel – film and music often make us feel emotions when we watch and listen.

6. Megan says:

Well i watched both of them and i prefer music. I was watching pirates of the caribbean and without music it was rubbish. Music is really clever because you can tell the feelings and the meaning of the story so personally i like the music one better.
    The sound one was different and more real well that sounds silly but really it’s just so much different to the music one it confuses me that in long films theres always so much more going on.

• mrjparkin says:

I agree, the music in a film really makes a difference and can add to your enjoyment – it can also change the way you experience the film so much it is like watching a different film, which is what you said.

7. Megan says:

Hi Mr Parkin I can not find any where else to put this but it is about fungi http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01q0t2r/ it is 15min and 10 sec in before you can see it enjoy !!!

• mrjparkin says:

I’ll have a look and set up a science blog so everyone can post about micro-organisms.

• mrjparkin says:

Wow – I’ve just watched the clip. What a great example of fungi growing, amazing! Thank you for the link, please share this again when I put the science blog up.

8. Amber says:

dear Mr parkin i wached the vidios and my favirote was the one with the music.

9. Mia says:

I like the video with the music it makes me feel calm and happy.I found the different noises scary and disturbing.

10. Matthew yr5 narwhals says:

its really good i like it when they smile. it is funny as well as worrying

11. ashwaan says:

I think it is about making friendships. I also think it is happy and sad at the same time.

12. EleanorW narwhal class says:

Hi I think the one with the music is better because you can under stand
    the feelings.
    I like the sound effects especially the wind it made me feel cold.
    I think it is about freindship,love and being lonely.

• saskia yr 6 says:

it made you feel cold that’s cool I don’t know how I felt- warm or cold. I see what you mean, I don’t want to sound like mr.parkin but, good descripsoin.

13. Isabella Scott-Grice says:

Hi, I think the video was full of love and it was nice, it was like love and happiness between two creatures and lots more.
    I think it is set in the woodlands in France.

So, what is happening? A tree is falling on another tree and it makes a hole, and snow goes down in the hole. When it gets to the creatures house the snow comes down and the animal wakes and goes up and sees what is happening up there. It gets stuck and tries to push it, but it doesn’t move, so it goes to see. The creature meets a new friend and they have an adventure.
    I thought the music was just right, it set it together.
    Bye!