Oxenhope CE Primary School

Believe and Achieve

Using creatures to control pests

on March 17, 2013

On Friday afternoon Narwhals watched a video clip which showed how two types of insects were being used to control pests which damaged and killed crops.
Do you think this is a good idea or not? Blog your ideas here.

7 Responses to “Using creatures to control pests”

1. Mia says:

I think not because if the creatures eats the pests then they will become extinct and the creatures will become pests

2. Eleanor W year 4/5 says:

Hi,
    ladybird larvy and ladybirds themselves love to eat greenflys.
    That means,we might be able to decrease the population of
    greenflys.Greenflys destroy plants.
    It is not reliable though,we might end up with too many ladybirds and it will go all
    wrong,and wont work.

3. Libby says:

I don’t think it’s a good idea because if they do, do this then the aphids will go extincted and maybe ladybirds will go extincted as well because they will have nothing to eat.

4. George says:

I think it is a good Idea.

5. stan says:

At my allotment we have a pond which has an occasional visiting frog which eats all the slugs. I made ladybird houses so the ladybirds can eat the aiphids. We are going to put nematoads which are a type of werm to eat the slugs from the inside out.

6. Daisy says:

I do think it is a good idea to use insects to control pests. It is natural and won’t damage the life cycle. It is also a good idea because otherwise farmers will use chemicals and pest spray or might use genetic modification.

I watched a film showing insect pest control. Aphids multiply and produce a billion decendents a year. They suck plant juices and can kill a whole field of crops. Ladybirds come and eat the aphids, they can eat 5000 in a lifetime. Moneyspiders catch the aphids the ladybirds drop into their web.